H. RES. 245
In the House of Representatives
September 25, 1997
Mr. Royce (for himself, Mr. Smith of New Jersey, Mr. Menendez, and Mr. Payne) submitted the following resolution, which was referred to the Committee on International Relations.
Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives in support of a free and fair referendum on self-determination for the people of Western Sahara.
Whereas the United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has appointed former United States Secretary of State James Baker III as Personal Envoy of the Secretary-General for Western Sahara to end the current referendum stalemate;
Whereas talks between the Kingdom of Morocco and the Polisario Front mediated by Mr. Baker have achieved agreement on ways to end the referendum stalemate;
Whereas the end of the stalemate over the Western Sahara referendum would allow for the release of Sahrawi citizens and prisoners of war held by Morocco and Moroccan military prisoners held by the Polisario Front; and
Whereas the United Sates recognizes and supports the right of self-determination for the people of Western Sahara:
Now, therefore, be it
Resolved, That the House of Representatives -
- 1. expresses its full support to former United States Secretary of State James Baker III in his mission as Personal Envoy of the United Nations Secretary-General for the Western Sahara,
- 2. expresses its support for a referendum on self-determination for the people of Western Sahara that should meet the following criteria:
- free, fair, and transparent and held in the presence of international and domestic observers and international media without administrative or military pressure or interference;
- only genuine Sahrawis, as identified in the method agreed to by both sides, will take part in the referendum voting, and
- the result, once certified by the United Nations, is accepted by both sides; and
- 3. requests the administration to fully support former United States Secretary of State James Baker III in his mission of organizing a free, fair, and transparent referendum on self-determination for the people of Western Sahara without military or administrative constraints.
[Communiqués, letters , Documents] [Western